If I am Theo Epstein I look down at my WWBD (What Would Belichick Do) wrist band and I decline the $12.5m option on David Ortiz for ‘11. I love Big Papi and all he has done for this organization but we should have bunched him in with the Mike Lowell Celebration last year. Theo has to make a decision by this Thursday. The only way they keep him is if they figure he will keep fans in seats for a “bridge” year in ‘11 and then off the books for ’12. The problem is Papi wants a multi-year deal and is already making noise about it.
The 2012 MLB free agent class (Pujols, Fielder, Ad. Gonzalez, Yadier Molina, Jose Reyes, Grady Sizemore) is too good to panic on a Jayson Werth or Carl Crawford this year
The first cut at my Sox free agent wish list for this offseason:
- Victor Martinez, DH/C – make him full time DH with occasional night behind the dish
- Carlos Pena, 1B – my gut says don’t pay up for Beltre, bring cheaper Pena in to play first and move Youk back to 3rd
- Derrek Lee, 1B – Plan B to Pena but only for 1 yr, righty compliment to Lars Anderson
- A good middle reliever reliever to bridge between starters and Bard/Papelbon. A few to choose from; Scott Downs, Dan Wheeler, Matt Guerrier, JJ Putz, Jesse Crain.
- Orlando Hudson, 2B – move Pedroia to SS, is there any way we can cut short the Marco Scutaro era? And the Mike Cameron Era while we’re at it.
- Ramon Hernandez, C – splits w/Salty and VMart (when no DH’ing)
- Reed Johnson, OF – we need guys like this on our team again
You can fault Theo for signing Cameron and Scutaro, and JD Drew for that matter, but at least all three of them come off the books after this season to allow the Sox to be players in the 2012 bidding.
How is it that Edgar Rentaria can be so clutch in the playoff spotlight for small market teams (apparently with a torn bicep no less) but play so poorly in the regular season in a large market…the pressure levels can’t be that much different, can they?
It is still early but how great would it be to see Patriots East playing Patriots-Midwest in the AFC Championship Game? Second to the Pats it is easy to root for Scott Pioli, Matt Cassel, Mike Vrabel, Charlie Weissl and Romeo Crannel.
Who fares better in their 9 week free agent showcase, Randy Moss in Tennessee or Shawn Merriman in Buffalo.? Both are playing for new contracts in ’11. Btw, hard to believe Merriman is only 26 years old.
Every time I see a new headshot of TB12 all I can think of is QB Ronnie “Sunshine” Bass from Remember the Titans. Regardless of how he looks I love the fact that Brady is banging helmets again and talking smack to Terrell Suggs.